Andrew Edginton of BT Fleet answers Barker's Dozen
06 March 2012
BusinessCar's Paul Barker puts 13 testing questions to another victim
1. What was your first job? During school holidays I worked for my aunt in her clothing business. I learnt a lot about how a business operates. My first 'proper' job was as a finance graduate trainee with Lucas Automotive.
2. What was your first company car? A Rover 400 diesel. I gave it back after six months and bought a proper car instead.
3. What did you listen to on your last car journey? Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds. If the family are with me it tends to be Rihanna, JLS or One Direction - those journeys can feel very long.
4. What one thing do you wish you could do better? Everything to be honest. I'm always looking for new ways to do what I do better, be more efficient or effective.
5. What's your biggest achievement? Being at Wembley in 2010 to watch Birmingham City FC in the Carling Cup Final, and winning it!
6. Who are your role models? Barry Fry, ex-Birmingham City FC manager. He saw the positive in any situation - even when Birmingham were relegated! He faced a challenge with a smile and understood that motivating his team was crucial to success.
7. What's the stupidest thing you've done? Flying to Singapore while working for Lucas and forgetting to take the office and hotel details in the days before mobile phone roaming. I like to think my decision-making has improved since then.
8. What was the most hotly debated topic at your last meeting? How our role as a finance team will develop in the short term.
9. What's in your garage? Mostly bikes and a toy JCB - my four-year-old is into digging holes and we have a great collection of his work around the garden.
10. What's the worst thing about your job? Not having enough time to get out and visit our garage network. I have leadership team responsibility for six out of our 61 garages, and I visit them as often as I can.
11. What one law would you make or change? I'd like to pass a law that Birmingham City had to win every game for a season.
12. What keeps you awake at night? Mostly my nine-month old son. He has a habit of being ready to go at around 3am.
13. Who is your ideal celebrity date? In the interests of my personal wellbeing, I decline to answer that question!