Cap's Martin Ward answers Barker's Dozen
09 March 2009
Martin Ward, Cap, Manufacturer relations manager
BusinessCar deputy editor Paul Barker puts 13 testing questions to Cap's Martin Ward
1. What was your first job? Self Employed car washer - washing the neighbours cars for 2 shillings and 6pence age 10 - eight in a weekend and I'd earn a Pound. First employed job, selling cars in 1972 - with the first new one, an orange MINI Clubman costing £670
2. What was your first company car? Mini Van - the parts van
3. What did you listen to on your last car journey? Radio 2 - never listen to anything else - what else is there to listen to
4. What one thing do you wish you could do better? speak Spanish fluently.
5. What's your biggest achievement? Getting in Business Car top 10, a real privilege and honour for me and CAP
6. Who are your role models? Paul McCartney, he came from a humble background and made it big and the bloke I sold the Mini to, he was dressed like a tramp, nobody else would talk to him, and he paid by cash out of a brown paper bag - It taught me to treat everybody exactly the same, rich or poor, scruffy of immaculate.
7. What's the stupidest thing you've done -recently ? Use my Vodafone 3G card in Spain to receive e-mails 8 times, and got a bill for £1,778 - a
8. What was the most hotly debated topic at your last meeting? When will the world return to 'normal' and when will car sales go back to a normal level, or is this norm, and the past few years have been out of hand,
9. What's in your garage? My office, a dryer and loads of model cars I have collected over many years, no room for a real one.
10. What's the worst thing about your job? Taking my belt and shoes off constantly at airports at security and trying to find the loo in the middle of the night in yet another hotel room - Oh and being fussy about food, having to constantly ask for something different to the set menu.
11. What one law would you make or change? Anyone who has illegally spaced number plates should have their cars scrapped immediately, no ifs, no buts - straight off to the crusher.
12. What keeps you awake at night? Traffic noise if I'm in a hotel near a road, all those cars - far too many
13. Who is your ideal celebrity date? No time for dates, but if I did Fergie - Duchess of York - bet she can tell a few stories, and a really nice person.