Colin Thomas of H20 Car Valeting answers Barker's Dozen
30 August 2010
BusinessCar's Paul Barker puts 13 testing questions to another victim
1. What was your first job?
Cleaning used cars in dealerships in Northern Ireland.
2. What was your first company car?
Never really had one - I worked with the Vauxhall press department for a few years so had various loan vehicles. The best was a Lotus Carlton, the worst was a Bedford Rascal.
3. What did you listen to on your last car journey?
A podcast about the future of marketing - some interesting stuff in line for us all out there.
4. What one thing do you wish you could do better?
Consistently produce 50% net profit.
5. What's your biggest achievement?
6. Who is your role model?
Richard Branson - his enthusiasm is infectious.
7. What's the stupidest thing you've done?
Not starting my own business sooner. I would encourage anyone thinking of doing it to just do it. "The best way to predict your future is to create it" - Abraham Lincoln, January 1860.
8. What was the most hotly debated topic at your last meeting?
The Customer Loyalty Scheme - we're putting together some great rewards for our customers.
9. What's in your garage?
A roofbox, lawnmower, lots of wood, some nice wine (we're just back from France), lots of racking to create the ultimate man workshop (still not assembled...)
10. What's the worst thing about your job?
One-sided end-of-the-night conversations at the Christmas party - aimed at me!
11. What one law would you make or change?
Introduce a monthly car cleanliness check. with heavy penalties.
12. What keeps you awake at night?
Our new daughter! Normally, I've managed to control the midnight eureka moments with a note pad beside the bed - it's where my best ideas come from.
13. Who is your ideal celebrity date?
All of The Saturdays!