David Wilson answers Barker's Dozen
28 April 2013
Tracker Network's sales director talks coffee beans and tips of fingers, and admits to being a bit Essex.
1. What was your first job? Customer sales and services rep, dealing with gas-related disputes via telephone and letter. There were no emails, letters were all dictated and typed by a typing pool - oh my God, am I really that old?!
2. What was your first company car? It was a BMW 323 Convertible in black. I thought I had made it!
3. What did you listen to on your last car journey? Bruno Mars - I'm a big fan.
4. What one thing do you wish you could do better? I started horse riding quite late at the age of 30 but loved it from the very first time. I ride for pleasure and wish I had started earlier. I would have loved to have ridden for a living.
5. What's your biggest achievement? From a business perspective it has to be taking a declining franchised business and creating a corporate business services organisation in three years.
6. Who are your role models? My parents did some amazing things: they worked hard, put family first, were always fair and honest. They never judged, and had high expectations.
7. What's the stupidest thing you've done? Once, when I was grinding coffee beans, as the grinder was stopping I noticed one bean on top of the blade. I flicked it off with the top of my finger. Six hours later at A&E, it was sewn back on.
8. What was the most hotly debated topic at your last meeting? It was around creating an IT strategy and aligning it to both the business and sales and marketing plans. Trying to get IT to agree targets is always fun.
9. What's in your garage? A Range Rover - I know it's a bit Essex but with two children, two dogs and living out in the sticks, it just had to be.
10. What's the worst thing about your job? Balancing the needs of the future with the demands of today.
11. What one law would you make or change? At midnight I would remove all motorway speed restrictions. It could change peoples' working patterns.
12. What keeps you awake at night? On a personal note it's my two sons - along comechildren and it's all about them. Are you doing the right things for them? Does how you parent affect their adult lives? Once you start thinking, the topic just gets bigger and bigger and that's only because they are important to you.
13. Who is your ideal celebrity date? Hard one to pin down to one person - would have to have a party and invite all my faves!
Name: David Wilson
Company: Tracker Network (UK) Ltd
Job title: Sales and services director
Home town: Croydon
Family: Partner with two sons - Jacob (12) and Luis (7)
Age: 49 (don't look it!)
Sum up your company in 13 words or fewer: There is nowhere else I'd rather be! Exciting and challenging to the max!