Fleet risk consultant Nigel Grainger answers Barker's Dozen
12 April 2010
BusinessCar's Paul Barker puts 13 testing questions to another victim
1. What was your first job?
Bank clerk for NatWest aged 16.
2. What was your first company car?
3. What did you listen to on your last car journey?
Transvision Vamp on CD.
4. What one thing do you wish you could do better?
Make time to relax.
5. What's your biggest achievement?
I am hoping it is still to come, but I do have a cycling proficiency certificate and I was a member of the kids' road safety Tufty Club!
6. Who is your role model?
My late father who achieved a lot despite battling illness for most of his life, and Barnes Wallace (inventor of the Dambusters World War II bouncing bomb) - just because everyone says it won't work does not make them right and you wrong!
7. What's the stupidest thing you've done?
The list is long and distinguished, but the worst has to be scrapping my Series III Landrover rather than selling it.
8. What was the most hotly debated topic at your last meeting?
After which biscuits to get, it would have been which was the most cost-effective way to check the driving records of a client's staff.
9. What's in your garage?
Junk, wine, a beer fridge, a very dusty bike and more junk.
10. What's the worst thing about your job?
Dealing with the carnage of a fatal accident.
11. What one law would you make or change?
I am with a certain Mr Clarkson on this one - idiots who block yellow hatched areas should be shot. Twice!
12. What keeps you awake at night?
Nothing. I sleep soundly each night with a clear conscience.
13. Who is your ideal celebrity date?
Cameron Diaz and Drew Barrymore - they both have great looks and brains to make a great evening