Jayne Pett of Interactive Fleet Management answers Barker's Dozen
04 July 2011
BusinessCar's Paul Barker puts 13 testing questions to another victim
1. What was your first job? My very first job was with Boots the Chemist as a Saturday girl on the chemist counter.
2. What was your first company car? My first was a Mondeo ST24 - and no, that didn't come with the Saturday job!
3. What did you listen to on your last car journey? Alexandra Burke's CD.
4. What one thing do you wish you could do better? Play golf better.
5. What's your biggest achievement? Being part of the team that launched Interactive Fleet Management. To be involved in growing a company from scratch is hugely rewarding.
6. Who are your role models? From the fleet sector I'd say my ex-boss at BRS Carlease, Mike Curtis, and from outside the industry I've always been impressed by Karen Brady for her achievements in what is seen as a man's world.
7. What's the stupidest thing you've done? I once got into the wrong car and scared the life out of a terrified chap in the driver's seat.
8. What was the most hotly debated topic at your last meeting? The careful management of our business growth because the demand for fleet management, and in particular 'managed' multi-bid contract hire, is so strong at the moment.
9. What's in your garage? My son is a county golf player for Warwickshire and at the age of 16 he has represented the UK on the US Kids European Golf Tour, which is an amazing achievement but also means the garage is full of golf kit!
10. What's the worst thing about your job? Nothing at all. I'm one of those lucky people that's doing a job I love.
11. What one law would you make or change? I would ban computerised telephone answering systems. Whenever I make a call and I get the automated voice and queue I hate it. And seeing as I don't know anyone that likes them I'm astonished by their popularity. However, decisions to implement them are, of course, based on profit rather than service.
12. What keeps you awake at night? Very little, I love sleep.
13. Who is your ideal celebrity date? Daniel Craig or Hugh Jackman, or both if they're free on the same day!