Jon Walden answers Barker's Dozen
18 February 2008
BusinessCar deputy editor Paul Barker puts 13 questions to: Jon Walden, Lex managing director
1. What was your first job? Counting beans at Touche Ross (now Deloitte)
2. What was your first company car? A boring Peugeot 504 in Belgrano Grey. It was a pool car and I rapidly traded it in for a sparkling Ford Cortina 2 litre GXL
3. What did you listen to on your last car journey? Elton John
4. What one thing do you wish you could do better? Play music.
5. What's your biggest achievement? Staying married to the same person I married 33 years ago when I was 21.
6. Who are your role models? In business Anita Roddick, Allan Leighton and Richard Branson. In life generally, Winston Churchill
7. What's the stupidest thing you've done? Leaving Lex! But I did come back!
8. What was the most hotly debated topic at your last meeting? How we improve customer service. It got very emotional!
9. What's in your garage? Lots of wine that I bought back from France. Sadly it is rapidly diminishing
10. What's the worst thing about your job? Dealing with people who are bureaucratic
11. What one law would you make or change? I would get rid of speed cameras
12. What keeps you awake at night? Nothing, I sleep very well!
13. Who is your ideal celebrity date? I believe celebrity is one of the curses of the modern age. But I wouldn't mind a night out with Julia Roberts!
|Barker’s Dozen factfile|
|Job title:||Managing director|
|Home town:||Chalfont St Giles, Bucks|
|Family:||Maryanne, Rachel and Ben|
|Sum up your company in 13 words or fewer:||World Class|