Ken McCall of Europcar answers Barker's Dozen
10 October 2011
BusinessCar's Paul Barker puts 13 testing questions to another victim
1. What was your first job? Trainee transportation clerk in one of Scotland's largest haulage companies.
2. What was your first company car? Datsun 180B, which was several years old and the exhaust fumes came into the car so I had to drive with the window open - somewhat challenging during the winter.
3. What did you listen to on your last car journey? Breakfast show on Capital Radio.
4. What one thing do you wish you could do better? In business terms, I wish I was a qualified accountant as I am sure this would have helped me throughout my career. On a social front, play golf and be able to beat my son in our annual golf challenge where I have not won for the last three years.
5. What's your biggest achievement? Buying the largest transport company in China in a very complex transaction structure. Personally, representing the Scottish schools at golf, playing against England, Ireland and Wales - these are only standards I can dream of today.
6. Who are your role models? Having spent 13 years in Asia, the founder of today's modern and economically vibrant Singapore, Lee Kuan Yeu, whom I had the great honour to interview as part of a management development programme. From a hard work perspective, my father, who set the ethics for the whole family.
7. What's the stupidest thing you've done? Too many to detail here!
8. What was the most hotly debated topic at your last meeting? Commercial pricing strategy and, from the sublime to the ridiculous, the 'office move'!
9. What's in your garage? Nothing - I am in the process of building one!
10. What's the worst thing about your job? The commute around the M25. Whilst it is only 33 miles, there are many times that a horse and cart would do it faster.
11. What one law would you make or change? I want to return Britain to becoming a much bigger manufacturer-driven nation and would offer substantial benefits for investing in capital assets to drive wealth and job creation through manufacturing and exporting.
12. What keeps you awake at night? Nothing.
13. Who is your ideal celebrity date? Sandra Bullock? Julia Roberts? Beyoncé? I guess I would have to make do with one of those!