Martin Towers of Kwik-Fit Fleet answers Barker's Dozen
28 May 2012
BusinessCar's Paul Barker puts 13 testing questions to another victim
1. What was your first job? Stock controller for a multiple retail jewellery chain.
2. What was your first company car? A Ford Sierra 1.6L.
3. What did you listen to on your last car journey? Chris Evans on Radio 2.
4. What one thing do you wish you could do better? Patience - I am the least patient person I know.
5. What's your biggest achievement? It has to be to go through life with a smile on my face. Look for the good times and learn from them, don't worry about the past and only worry about things you can effect.
6. Who are your role models? Not sure about role models, but the late Brian Clough has always been held in massive admiration for being able to build real football teams and he always got more out of the collective than the parts. (Difficult to admit for a Leicester man as his success was with our two biggest rivals in Derby and Nottingham.)
7. What's the stupidest thing you've done? Giving in to injury and retiring from playing football at the age of 32. Got talked into going back five years later and regretted my decision immediately to stop so young.
8. What was the most hotly debated topic at your last meeting? The future! What it would be, how we shape it, how do we stay ahead?
9. What's in your garage? Certainly not the car. It is full of the usual rubbish, but most importantly it contains my golf clubs.
10. What's the worst thing about your job? Not seeing the results of your efforts immediately, so you are never sure whether you are making the right decisions or going in the right direction.
11. What one law would you make or change? It would have to be something to do with European human rights. The principle is fine and should be applauded, but seems to benefit the very people it shouldn't. It appears to work for the few and hinder the many.
12. What keeps you awake at night? Both my children are at the start of their adult life and I am worried and excited at the same time about their future.
13. Who is your ideal celebrity date? Not a date as such, but would love to have a meal or time with Stephen Fry - such an intelligent, articulate and extremely humorous person with so many stories that the whole time would be a pleasure