Mazda's fleet boss James Hopkins answers Barker's Dozen
07 July 2008
BusinessCar's deputy editor Paul Barker puts 13 testing questions to Mazda fleet boss James Hopkins
1. What was your first job? Cleaning out bread ovens in an industrial bakery whilst studying - I was not pleasant to be around afterwards.
2. What was your first company car? White polo 1.1L
3. What did you listen to on your last car journey? A mixture of Radio 5live and Chris Moyles on radio1.
4. What one thing do you wish you could do better? Far too many to mention, but mainly sport related - my golf has really suffered in recent years
5. What's your biggest achievement? My family
6. Who are your role models? An ex-boss who seemed to be able to juggle so many things and get everybody on side - something I an still striving for.
7. What's the stupidest thing you've done? Agree to be part of the Mazda Triathlon team for this year's event - the training nearly killed me.
8. What was the most hotly debated topic at your last meeting? The current economic environment and what that could mean for all of Mazda's business in the UK.
9. What's in your garage? Numerous bikes, a growing pile of 'stuff' that was due to be sold at a car boot sale last year, but has since doubled in size.
10. What's the worst thing about your job? The amount of travel and the nights away from the family - sometimes it seems like the children have to ask who I am.
11. What one law would you make or change? I'd increase the speed limit on motorways as 70mph (when you can go that fast) is somewhat antiquated.
12. What keeps you awake at night? Nothing now the children are older
13. Who is your ideal celebrity date? Girls Aloud - even the ginger one, but not sure about Cheryl.