Mercedes' Simon Oldfield answers Barker's Dozen
08 December 2008
BusinessCar deputy editor Paul Barker puts 13 testing questions to Mercedes' sales boss Simon Oldfield
1. What was your first job? On a fruit farm in Kent, getting paid for picking the fruit I was scrumping the week before.
2. What was your first company car? Volvo 45 (A Daf in disguise)
3. What did you listen to on your last car journey? A mixture of Radio 4's the Today Programme and the new Goldfrapp album on the iPod
4. What one thing do you wish you could do better? Say no to the offer of biscuits!
5. What's your biggest achievement? Surviving this long
6. Who are your role models? Sir Frederick Ashton and my father
7. What's the stupidest thing you've done? Signed up for the local half-marathon this Summer
8. What was the most hotly debated topic at your last meeting? How to further improve the customer experience at our retailers from the already high level they achieve
9. What's in your garage? Two broken lawn mowers, six bicycles, a table tennis table, a large inflatable pool, assorted gardening and DIY tools
10. What's the worst thing about your job? Too little time
11. What one law would you make or change? Allow cars to turn left on red lights, as the USA does on right-turns
12. What keeps you awake at night? Sleeping during the day
13. Who is your ideal celebrity date? Debbie Harry - well, I'm a child of the 70's!