Mobile phone software guru David James answers Barker's Dozen
10 November 2008
BusinessCar deputy editor Paul Barker puts 13 testing questions to David James, mxData boss.
1. What was your first job? I worked weekends as a stable hand on a local farm for just 50p an hour.
2. What was your first company car? A BMW 323i coupe.
3. What did you listen to on your last car journey? Green Day live in concert in Milton Keynes.
4. What one thing do you wish you could do better? Making more time for my children.
5. What's your biggest achievement? Professionally my biggest achievement is establishing mxData and watching it develop and grow.
6. Who are your role models? I have many people that I see as role models, but professionally, I pay a lot of attention to our non-exec director, Roger Jeynes. His input over the past years has helped move the company onto another level. Personally my brother inspires me for many reasons but mostly his whole attitude to life is extremely humbling.
7. What's the stupidest thing you've done? Now that would be telling.
8. What was the most hotly debated topic at your last meeting? iPhone and Android development
9. What's in your garage? Bicycles and golf clubs that I should use more.
10. What's the worst thing about your job? I try not to get sucked into the day-to-day running of the business, fortunately our non-exec helps me to focus on business strategy.
11. What one law would you make or change? I would increase sentences for anything that causes harm to children. Childhood is a magical time and any adult who damages this should be severely punished.
12. What keeps you awake at night? Fortunately sleep is something I have mastered.
13. Who is your ideal celebrity date? Cheryl Cole - she seems really down to earth and she has a fantastic smile.