Neil Broad answers Barker's Dozen
04 September 2013
A diverse mix of star names - Diamond, Shankly, Burke and Imbruglia - are namechecked by Toyota's fleet boss.
1. What was your first job? Running pubs and nightclubs - very different to what I do now!
2. What was your first company car? A Renault 19.
3. What did you listen to on your last car journey? Neil Diamond - and I was even singing along.
4. What one thing do you wish you could do better? Play golf - better and more often.
5. What's your biggest achievement? Bringing my beautiful daughter Ava into the world. Admittedly my wife had the hard part, but still it was the best moment of my life.
6. Who are your role models? Bill Shankly (legendary Liverpool FC manager) and my dad.
7. What's the stupidest thing you've done? Where do I start and what can be published? I did set fire to three fields as a child when playing cowboys and Indians with flaming arrows. It was a total accident, obviously.
8. What was the most hotly debated topic at your last meeting? How to drive change in the industry while managing short-term tasks and long-term thinking.
9. What's in your garage? My garage is the twilight zone for items of mine that my wife has banned from the house. All are destined ultimately for the tip unless I can hide them successfully. I wish I had a Toyota GT86 in there!
10. What's the worst thing about your job? Having so many things to do all the time. It can be hard trying to make time to spin the plates and give everyone the access they need and deserve. But it's also one of the best things about my job -the Toyota Lexus Fleet Services division is a really forward-thinking organisation and there's always a lot going on.
11. What one law would you make or change? Football clubs should be owned by the fans and run by an elected body to serve the interests of those fans. Players' wages should be pegged to a set percentage over the national average.
12. What keeps you awake at night? I'm generally a good sleeper, but if anything keeps me awake at night it's thinking of what is coming next at work and getting excited by new ideas. That and brandy indigestion!
13. Who is your ideal celebrity date? A hybrid of Kathy Burke and Natalie Imbruglia.
||Toyota GB PLC
||General manager, fleet and remarketing
||Wife Michaela and daughter Ava Grace, aged four
|Sum up your company in 13 words or fewer:
||Continuous improvement with a human touch and a consistent customer first imperative.