Nissan's LCV boss Tony Lewis answers Barker's Dozen
24 February 2009
Lewis: Infiniti growth plans will help RVs
BusinessCar deputy editor Paul Barker puts 13 testing questions to Nissan's LCV director Tony Lewis
1. What was your first job? My first real job was as an Officer in the British Army, where I spent 6 years serving in the UK, Belize and with the UN in Cyprus. But my first regular paying job was 3 months working the beaches of St Tropez between A levels and University - (I am surprised I ever went to University after that).
2. What was your first company car? A Sierra Sapphire GLS in Magenta.
3. What did you listen to on your last car journey? AC DC - Black Ice.
4. What one thing do you wish you could do better? Play the Electric Guitar. I have dabbled for years and never really had the time to get any good at it.
5. What's your biggest achievement? I was awarded the Company of Carmen Sword of Honour and became a Freeman of the City of London for my efforts at The Royal Military Academy Sandhurst which made my old man very proud.
6. Who are your role models? My Brother and Muhammad Ali. A world champion heavyweight fighter who gave Parky a hard time was very influential in my youth and I love his integrity, philosophy, moral courage, self belief but most of all his sporting genius.
7. What's the stupidest thing you've done? When serving In Belize, we thought it would be a great idea to take a Canadian canoe trip down the Sibun River. It was in flood, but we still had a go, after 20 minutes we capsized and then spent a further 30 minutes floating along at about 20 knots trying to get to the bank. We came perilously close to a watery end a number of times as the River diverted into caves and when we finally got out it took over 3 hours to tab out of the jungle. Not my best moment but a great lesson on mortality.
8. What was the most hotly debated topic at your last meeting? Sadly the current credit crunch, its impact on the Automotive markets and the strategy we were adopting to counter it's effect.
9. What's in your garage? A number of motorbikes. I have a 350z company car so I don't need any car toys.
10. What's the worst thing about your job? Anything that's not in my direct control but effects sales performance, I like to be in charge of my own destiny.
11. What one law would you make or change? I would make it illegal for an authority to deny potentially life enhancing or life saving medication purely on financial grounds.
12. What keeps you awake at night? What might happen to my children in a country where weapons that I was taught to respect professionally are now in widespread use and in the hands of kids.
13. Who is your ideal celebrity date? I think it's got to be Tea Leoni.