Provecta's Nick Sutton answers Barker's Dozen
26 May 2008
Nick Sutton, boss of Provecta (recently acquired by Zenith), faces 13 questions from BusinessCar's deputy editor Paul Barker
1. What was your first job? Assistant Woodsman- Clearing forestry aged 16
2. What was your first company car? Ford Sierra - The original Jelly-Mould car
3. What did you listen to on your last car journey? My children arguing!
4. What one thing do you wish you could do better? Time allocation between business and family.
5. What's your biggest achievement? Being responsible for creating 60 jobs, and also I guess riding winners as an amateur Jump Jockey.
6. Who are your role models? My uncle who emigrated to Australia aged 18 and started and grew a very big company, and generally anybody with more experience and common sense than me!
7. What's the stupidest thing you've done? Getting the decimal place wrong in a restaurant in France when the Franc was the currency. Thinking the wine was incredibly cheap I ordered two bottles only to find the bill was 10 times higher than I expected!
8. What was the most hotly debated topic at your last meeting? Why company car drivers recently had an increase in the advisory fuel rates, but employees using their own cars are still restricted to the AMAPs rates that were set six years ago when petrol cost 75p a litre. Double standards are hard to justify!
9. What's in your garage? I don't have a garage as it has been converted to be part of the house, but sitting outside is a VW Golf GTI which suits my needs.
10. What's the worst thing about your job? People who look to detract from ECO schemes simply because they don't understand their real value to both employers and employees.
11. What one law would you make or change? I would ban the technology that allows consumers to leave electrical appliances on stand-by.
12. What keeps you awake at night? Not a lot, as I am usually very tired by the end of the day, but I guess it has to be what the future holds for our children.
13. Who is your ideal celebrity date? We recently conducted some market research and found that Kate Winslet most closely reflected Provecta's personality, so I guess we would get on famously!