Robert Wastell of Hitachi Capital Vehicle Solutions answers Barker's Dozen
16 January 2014
The MD of Hitachi Capital Vehicle Solutions gets quizzed
Robert Wastell, divisional managing director at HCVS
1. What was your first job?
My first proper job was a rating officer for the London Borough of Richmond. A popular profession at the time - not!
2. What was your first company car?
A Mazda 323. I actually added some plastic push-on spoke alloys too - don't ask me why; it seemed a good idea at the time.
3. What did you listen to on your last car journey?
Media file on my phone.
4. What one thing do you wish you could do better?
Be more patient I think - it's one thing my team (and my family) is continually reminding me to be.
5. What's your biggest achievement?
Having two great kids with my wife. I call them 'kids' but they are adults now and I am extremely proud of them.
6. Who are your role models?
My father, Margaret Thatcher and probably Richard Branson who seems pretty cool and is not afraid to take a risk.
7. What's the stupidest thing you've done?
Where do I start? Seriously, we can all look back at our mistakes but the point is to try and learn from them
8. What was the most hotly debated topic at your last meeting?
Prioritisation. Like many companies we have lots we want to do but the challenge is choosing the 'vital few'.
9. What's in your garage?
I have just moved house and don't have one now - does a shed count?
10. What's the worst thing about your job?
Nothing. I work for a great business with great people and great values. It's important that you enjoy your job.
11. What one law would you make or change?
Letting off fireworks after 10.00pm (New Year's Eve excluded). Does that make me grumpy?
12. What keeps you awake at night?
I nearly wrote fireworks but if I can't sleep it is because I am probably too excited about tomorrow and raring to go!
13. Who is your ideal celebrity date?
Actress Hayley Atwell.
||Hitachi Capital Vehicle Solutions
||Divisional managing director
||Wife (yes), number of kids (two), pets (no)
|Sum up your company in 13 words or fewer:
||Inspirational, Naturally driven, Supportive, Proactive, acts with Integrity, Reliable, Expert - our INSPIRE values.