SMMT boss Paul Everitt answers Barker's Dozen
30 June 2008
BusinessCar deputy editor Paul Barker puts 13 testing questions to Paul Everitt
1. What was your first job? Management trainee in furniture manufacturing business.
2. What was your first company car? Red sierra estate
3. What did you listen to on your last car journey? Radio 5 live
4. What one thing do you wish you could do better? Golf
5. What's your biggest achievement? Launching automotive Sustainability Strategy in 1999.
6. Who are your role models? Arsene Wenger and Sir Kevin Smith (engineering firm GKN boss) - both focused on helping others put the ball in the back of the net.
7. What's the stupidest thing you've done? Skiing
8. What was the most hotly debated topic at your last meeting? How to provide meaningful information to help van customers make good environmental choices.
9. What's in your garage? Jaguar X-type estate
10. What's the worst thing about your job? Being away from my family - late nights and trips to Brussels.
11. What one law would you make or change? Greater scrutiny and enforcement for overseas hauliers operating in the UK.
12. What keeps you awake at night? All the things I didn't get around to doing today.
13. Who is your ideal celebrity date? Author Zadie Smith