Stephen Dilley of information provider FleetData answers Barker's Dozen
08 June 2009
BusinessCar deputy editor Paul Barker puts 13 testing questions to Stephen Dilley of information provider FleetData
1. What was your first job?
Don't hold it against me, but I'm an accountant by training and started in the motor trade with the Ford main dealer in Luton.
2. What was your first company car?
Mk1 Escort 1100 - red, black vinyl seats, no radio.
3. What did you listen to on your last car journey?
Fleet Foxes and Eric Bibb.
4. What one thing do you wish you could do better?
Drive as well as I think I can.
5. What's your biggest achievement?
To date, I guess it has to be developing a service, maintenance and repair forecasting tool for cars and vans. At the time, it satisfied an almost unnoticed but substantial demand in the market. Our product range now includes a full range of data products, all online and multi-national.
6. Who are your role models?
I don't really have any, although I like to think I have learnt from and been guided by many sources, many from within the automotive industry and many from unrelated backgrounds.
7. What's the stupidest thing you've done?
Agree to answer these questions?
8. What was the most hotly debated topic at your last meeting?
Which is the better football team - Benfica or Sporting Lisbon. That, and how to succeed in a recession.
9. What's in your garage?
My small but beautifully formed Triumph Spitfire, lightly road tuned and showing none of its 39 years.
10. What's the worst thing about your job?
I'm the only grandfather in the company.
11. What one law would you make or change?
I would get rid of any imposition of the 'politically correct'.
12. What keeps you awake at night?
Nothing at all, according to my wife.
13. Who is your ideal celebrity date?
Jemima Rose (granddaughter - age 21 months).