Steve Johnson of Autoproactive answers Barker's Dozen
15 March 2010
BusinessCar's Paul Barker puts 13 testing questions to another victim
1. What was your first job?
Design engineer for Spax Dampers (a performance car suspension specialist), then based in north London.
2. What was your first company car?
A Renault 12 TL.
3. What did you listen to on your last car journey?
Heart FM and then, when the traffic got busy, the inbuilt risk assessment tool between my ears..
4. What one thing do you wish you could do better?
Really exploit MS Excel.
5. What's your biggest achievement?
Creating Toyota GB Motorsport from scratch and steering the two separate teams to one British Open Rally Championship victory and two British Touring Car titles. And then exporting Toyota motorsport parts we developed back to Japan and all over the world from little old England.
6. Who is your role model?
My father, Richard Branson, Henry Liddon (rally driver), Gromit (Wallace's sidekick).
7. What's the stupidest thing you've done?
Believe that I looked cool in mauve loon pants in 1969.
8. What was the most hotly debated topic at your last meeting?
Where to put the new water cooler.
9. What's in your garage?
A Citroen C2 VTS and a 1976 Lancia Fulvia S3 Coupe.
10. What's the worst thing about your job?
Keeping the books up-to-date.
11. What one law would you make or change?
Mandate that mobility scooters should go no faster than walking pace and also have some form of audible warning of their approach whenever they are on the move.
12. What keeps you awake at night?
The splitting of the polar ice as it retreats yet further into oblivion.
13. Who is your ideal celebrity date?
The actress Jan Francis (from 1980s sitcom Just Good Friends).