Trafficmaster's John Lawrence answers Barker's Dozen
21 July 2008
BusinessCar's deputy editor Paul Barker puts 13 testing questions to Trafficmaster's John Lawrence
1. What was your first job? Travel Agent... bottled tan, lots of fun, no money!
2. What was your first company car? 1982 Ford Sierra 1.6L, light blue, manual tuning radio and go faster stripe
3. What did you listen to on your last car journey? 'Good to Great' audio book by Jim Collins
4. What one thing do you wish you could do better? Computer skills - I would rather speak to someone face-to-face than email so tend to avoid using computers.
5. What's your biggest achievement? Joining Hyundai and breaking into the motor industry.
6. Who are your role models? David Walker - my boss at Hyundai and Debbie Hewitt, MD of RAC
7. What's the stupidest thing you've done? Locked myself out of a hotel room with no clothes on!
8. What was the most hotly debated topic at your last meeting? Developing new routes to market for Fleet Director and recognising that fleet telematics are beneficial to more than large fleet companies.
9. What's in your garage? Un-used tools (useless at DIY) and a load of stuff to go to the tip
10. What's the worst thing about your job? Not enough hours in the day to get everything done
11. What one law would you make or change? I would introduce laws governing respect and decent behaviour
12. What keeps you awake at night? Achieving our sales target
13. Who is your ideal celebrity date? Mary Peters - That Gold Medal at the Munich Olympics was inspirational