Zipcar's Paul McLoughlin answers Barker's Dozen
26 January 2009
Business Car deputy editor Paul Barker puts 13 testing questions to car-club Zipcar's general manager Paul McLoughlin
1. What was your first job? Trainee Manager of the old course Hotel in St Andrews
2. What was your first company car? Audi A4
3. What did you listen to on your last car journey? Radio 5 Live and Bocelli
4. What one thing do you wish you could do better? Speak Spanish
5. What's your biggest achievement? My family
6. Who are your role models? Tiger Woods for his pursuit of excellence, Richard Branson for his determination and Scott Griffith (CEO Zipcar) for his leadership
7. What's the stupidest thing you've done? Trying to make some money at university by taking a job spring onion picking in the middle of Norfolk
8. What was the most hotly debated topic at your last meeting? The environmental & cost benefits of businesses using Zipcar versus pool cars and staff using personal cars for business use.
9. What's in your garage? Because I don't own a car - a pool table and gym equipment
10. What's the worst thing about your job? Working for a US firm - you are finishing when they are starting their day. It makes for long days on the iphone
11. What one law would you make or change? Making services like Zipcar free from the London congestion charge as car clubs help to reduce traffic.
12. What keeps you awake at night? My 5 month old daughter
13. Who is your ideal celebrity date? Kate Beckinsdale