Brett Emerson of Hankook answers Barker's Dozen
05 November 2014
Hankook's UK sales director has a 1966 MG in the garage and would accept a dinner date with Helena Bonham Carter
1. What was your first job?
I was a trainee printer at a small printing and stationery business called CP Business Supplies.
2. What was your first company car?
A white Vauxhall Astra when I started my first sales job, selling printing for Veldonn Printers in Kidderminster.
3. What did you listen to on your last car journey?
4. What one thing do you wish you could do better?
Sell more tyres. Or hit the golf ball a little straighter, and sink a few more putts.
5. What's your biggest achievement?
It's difficult to think of just one achievement, but I do consider myself to be very lucky and fortunate that the tyre trade has allowed me to enjoy myself and succeed with many challenges. It's also given me the opportunity to develop many friendships within the industry.
6. Who are your role models?
Severiano Ballesteros was a genius on the golf course and a great role model. His spirit was tenacious and his competitiveness was infectious.
7. What's the stupidest thing you've done?
When my son Josh was five I was late getting him to a party. I rushed him there, dropped off the present and told Josh to go and play with his friends. He'd been holding on to me and then said he didn't know anyone. I realised we were at the wrong party. We retrieved the present, and the correct party was the following week.
8. What was the most hotly debated topic at your last meeting?
Why I was resigning from my previous employment.
9. What's in your garage?
My son's 1966 MG Midget, which he is restoring.
10. What's the worst thing about your job?
I've only just started with Hankook Tyre UK so I think it's fair to say everything is very positive at present.
11. What one law would you make or change?
People who 'crash for cash' should have their licence taken away from them, they should never be allowed to drive again and they should be made to pay for the damage, costs and legal expenses incurred by all parties.
12. What keeps you awake at night?
Not much, but if I go out for dinner I never drink coffee after the meal.
13. Who is your ideal celebrity date?
Helena Bonham Carter.