Martin Evans of Jaama answers Barker's Dozen
28 February 2014
Unfinished business keeps Jaama's MD awake at night.
1. What was your first job? I started my working career as an electrician but quickly realised that designing and installing control panels for grain silos isn't a great idea if you suffer from hay fever.
2. What was your first company car? My first company car was a 1996 Honda Accord.
3.What did you listen to on your last car journey? The Joni Mitchel Blue album and then I switched to Chris Evans on Radio 2 to cheer myself up.
4. What one thing do you wish you could do better? Being omnipresent and also to master the science of teleportation.
5. What's your biggest achievement? My biggest achievement was convincing a blue chip company to buy from Jaama in the early days. The company had stipulated that it wanted to see three years of accounts, but we were only in our second year of trading!
6. Who are your role models? I am generally not one to place people on pedestals, especially celebrities as you never really know them.
7. What's the stupidest thing you've done? Whilst driving through the French Alps at a slow pace on a very hot day, I took out the key from my ignition so that my girlfriend could take the sunroof glass panel out. That was the first time I ever realised how effective steering locks can be.
8. What was the most hotly debated topic at your last meeting? Resource planning - we are always very busy.
9. What's in your garage? An old TVR that just needs finishing off. (Incidentally, it has just needed finishing off for the last 10 years!)
10. What's the worst thing about your job? Travel. Getting to appointments on time is a real gamble without generous contingency allowances nowadays.
11. What one law would you make or change? I wouldn't necessarily create or change a law but I would get prisoners to be more productive and effectively pay their way.
12. What keeps you awake at night? Coffee and unfinished business. I try and keep both to a minimum!
13. Who is your ideal celebrity date? A night with Sharon Stone, who has brains and beauty, would be guaranteed to keep me poised on the edge of my seat.
||A wife and one stepson who is at university
|Sum up your company in 13 words or fewer: A technology-driven company that provides outstanding fleet, leasing and rental software solutions.