Martin Keighley of DrivenData answers Barkers Dozen
17 September 2014
DrivenData MD says no to Sunday trading, and yes to Nigella
1. What was your first job?
I had a part-time job at an Austin dealership when I was 14, cleaning cars and serving petrol, but my first full-time job was as a pharmaceutical rep.
2. What was your first company car?
As a company rep it had to be a Ford Cortina 1.6L in Cardinal red.
3. What did you listen to on your last car journey?
I tend to mix it up. If it's the radio it will be Talksport or 5Live, and I've got Katy Perry in the CD.
4. What one thing do you wish you could do better? Choosing the lottery numbers. To date I am useless!
5. What's your biggest achievement?
Designing Cap Monitor [vehicle valuation tool] and bringing it to market despite huge opposition. They said it would never catch on.
6. Who are your role models?
I would have to say my father. He taught me integrity and how to balance strategy and operations.
7. What's the stupidest thing you've done?
Leaving my bag in a taxi in Washington DC on the first day of a holiday. It had $400 in cash, my phone, and travel documents for various flights, hotels and tickets for the Queen Mary cruise liner.
8. What was the most hotly debated topic at your last meeting?
The used value lifecycle changes since the recession and how supply will affect future values.
9. What's in your garage?
I would like to say a classic Jag or American muscle car, but there just aren't enough hours in the week to do them justice. So it's just my wife's Corsa.
10. What's the worst thing about your job?
I love my job and making a difference is vitally important to me. Journeymen and money-grabbers are my biggest irritation.
11. What one law would you make or change?
Where do I start? But how about Sunday trading? Whatever happened to a peaceful weekend? Or maybe telematics should be made compulsory?
12. What keeps you awake at night? Thinking of ways to improve almost everything. Often the best ideas arrive just before sleep so remembering them is quite a challenge. (But my wife says it's my snoring that keeps her awake.)
13. Who is your ideal celebrity date?
Nigella - the food would be good too!