Company car most appealing perk for young workers
19 September 2016
Author: Daniel Puddicombe
A company car is the most desirable employment benefit for workers aged 25 and under, new research has claimed.
According to a study by Skoda, 88% of respondents said a benefits package is important when negotiating a job offer, with two thirds of those citing a company car as a perk that would be of interest.
A third of young motorists said they would be more likely to accept a job if they were offered a vehicle, while over a quarter of younger workers said a company vehicle was the most appealing benefit - ahead of other perks such as medical insurance, a mobile phone and training.
However, among all age levels, a company car is only the seventh most popular perk.
Meanwhile, two thirds of employees claimed they would be more likely to stay in their job if they were given a work vehicle. Just under seven in 10 men said the offer of a company vehicle would be appealing, compared just under six out of 10 women.
"Our research shows company cars are very appealing to workers of all ages, but particularly young people," said Henry Williams, head of fleet at Skoda. "We see this trend strongly outside of London, where many companies are based at out-of-town locations - making a car essential for the daily commute."
The top ten benefits for UK workers:
1. Good pension contributions - 62%
2. Flexible working hours - 62%
3. High number of holidays days - 53%
4. Private medical insurance - 28%
5. Frequent training/ CPD - 23%
6. Provided with a work laptop/tablet - 18%
7. Company car provided - 17%
8. Sabbatical/career break option - 15%
9. Provided with a work phone - 14%
10. Company car allowance - 13%