Error parsing XSLT file: \xslt\FacebookOpenGraph.xslt Venson reminds fleets to check paperwork ahead of European trips
Cookies on Businesscar

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we will assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on the Business Car website. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookies at any time

BusinessCar magazine website email Awards mobile

The start point for the best source of fleet information

Venson reminds fleets to check paperwork ahead of European trips

Date: 14 July 2020   |   Author: Sean Keywood

Fleet drivers heading for Europe amid the lifting of lockdown measures have been reminded to make sure their paperwork is in order and their cars are roadworthy.

Venson Automotive Solutions says fleet managers and company car drivers need to check leased cars are covered for international travel.

They should also make sure cars are in good condition, having potentially been left idle during lockdown.

Venson marketing director Alison Bell said: "Company car drivers, even those who are still furloughed, may be planning to take the car abroad but they need to remember they have to be in possession of the correct paperwork.

"If they are not the registered keeper of the vehicle then they will need a VE103B (Vehicle on Hire Certificate) from their employer or leasing company. This is an authenticated document and an acceptable substitute for the V5C. 

"It enables the police and other authorities to verify that the person driving the vehicle has permission from the asset owner to do so. Drivers should check with their fleet manager and allow at least two weeks for processing of the paperwork."

Despite the UK having now officially left the EU, rules for driving there will not change until 1 January 2021, meaning UK drivers will not need a green card this year.

However, they must carry a copy of their certificate of insurance, and passports must have at least six months left before the expiry date.

Bell said: "We would also advise that cars are well maintained and if necessary serviced before travelling, to avoid the cost or inconvenience of repairs, and that drivers have valid European breakdown cover.

"Many EU countries also require UK motorists to carry safety equipment such as a warning triangle and reflective jackets - the AA website is a good source of country-by-country advice."