David Martell of Chargemaster answers Barker's Dozen
16 May 2011
BusinessCar's Paul Barker puts 13 testing questions to another victim
1. What was your first job? I had a part-time holiday job helping out on the village milk round when I was 12.
2. What was your first company car? I have never had a company car but I counted up recently that to date I have owned some 57 cars since I was in my teens, from a Belgium Citroen 2 CV post office van to three Ferraris.
3. What did you listen to on your last car journey? I commute by car up to London most days and my staple listening diet is Magic FM.
4. What one thing do you wish you could do better? Where do I start.
5. What's your biggest achievement? Still to come!
6. Who are your role models? I admire many people and certainly the business achievements of characters like Richard Branson, Rupert Murdoch, Warren Buffett and Bernie Ecclestone, but I certainly do not model myself on anyone. I navigate the turns in life in the way that feels right for me and my beliefs. My hero going back is Isambard Kingdom Brunel - how I would have loved to have been him.
7. What's the stupidest thing you've done? I once got involved in a business that I knew nothing about. That was stupid. My focus since then is always to make sure I am the world's expert in any business activity I am involved in.
8. What was the most hotly debated topic at your last meeting? The development of charging posts with tethered cables and if there is going to be standards agreed with motor manufacturers!
9. What's in your garage? An electric Smart, the one and only privately owned Chevy Volt extended-range EV in the country, an electric Citroen C1 Evie, a Mercedes S63, a 1974 E-type Jaguar and a historic Brabham BT35 Formula 2 car. As you can see I have big garage!
10. What's the worst thing about your job? Nothing - I love it.
11. What one law would you make or change? I'd create a common-sense law.
12. What keeps you awake at night? Occasionally my three Golden Retrievers when they want to go out - nothing else.
13. Who is your ideal celebrity date? If I was 20 years younger it would be Natalie Portman but I can only dream now!