Martin Wilson of Hyundai answers Barker's Dozen
24 July 2014
Martin is Hyundai's fleet director in the UK
Hyundai's fleet director talks tax rates and Bond girls.
1. What was your first job? Export clerk at a Danish shipping company. Loved it!
2. What was your first company car? Peugeot 306 diesel.
3. What did you listen to on your last car journey? Radio 1 then Radio 5 Live.
4. What one thing do you wish you could do better? Improve my Spanish. It's a great language and I love going to Spain with my family.
5. What's your biggest achievement? Apart from family, playing professional rugby for Newcastle Falcons.
6. Who are your role models? My parents, of course, and Steve Black - motivator/strength and conditioning coach as well as Pavarotti impersonator.
7. What's the stupidest thing you've done? Playing in front of a crowd of 10,000 and my opposite number scoring five tries (only four of them were my fault, however!); trying to check into the wrong hotel; I could go on.
8. What was the most hotly debated topic at your last meeting? Stretch objectives for the team, which everyone bought into - eventually.
9. What's in your garage? My garage is always spotless and immaculate. At least it would be if I had one.
10. What's the worst thing about your job? There's very little I dislike about the role I'm in; however, the regular 6am flights from Heathrow can be tiresome, literally.
11. What one law would you make or change? A freeze in company car tax.rates for the next decade. Car manufacturers have continued to launch cleaner and more refined cars to keep pace with taxation. A 10-year break would allow fleet operators to manage (and reduce) their costs and it would allow more time for new technology such as hydrogen fuel cells and plug-in hybrids to grow organically in number.
12. What keeps you awake at night? Nothing work-related. There is a family of foxes, though, that have taken up residence behind my shed and they can make a racket. Especially as it's spring time.
13. Who is your ideal celebrity date? Halle Berry or Gwyneth Paltrow, depending on who calls first.