BusinessCar Office Blog: 28 May 2010 - Prius ponderings
28 May 2010
Author: Tristan Young
Toyota Prius 1.8 T3 (89g/km)
A little while back I finally had the chance to drive a new-generation Prius, and away from the recall nonsense that was blown out of proportion, and rather than harping on about how efficient it is and how the hybrid drive works, I though I'd concentrate on a few points that have been overlooked and that you may not know about.
* Build quality: Just amazingly good and wouldn't be out of place in a Lexus. What few gaps there both between the exterior panels or between the interior trim are seriously close and perfectly even.
* Noises: There are too many warning chimes. Heaven forbid you should want to take off your seatbelt, open the driver's door and then reverse into a tight parking spot because there's a different 'bing' for each.
* Dials: At first the dashboard readout seems confusing, but like many new cars you get used to what's where. The way the stereo controls from the steering wheel appear (as if by magic) temporarily infront of the other readings is very clever.
* Interior space: It's not just because the Prius is London C-charge exempt that they're used as cabs, there's loads of room for back seat passengers.
* Fuel consumption: I know I said I wouldn't mention this, but in mixed driving with little eco-effort I got just more than 60mpg. Brilliant.
Follow BusinessCar on TWITTER