Nicky Simpson of SHB Hire answers Barker's Dozen
19 December 2013
SHB Hire's head of fleet solutions walks up the Three Peaks, into a rake, and out with an Italian.
Nicky Simpson, head of fleet solutions at SHB Fleet
1. What was your first job?
Horse riding instructor. First office job was a fleet administrator at public service provider Amey.
2. What was your first company car?
Vauxhall Astra diesel.
3. What did you listen to on your last car journey?
A dance music compilation - it wakes me up and puts me in a positive frame of mind.
4. What one thing do you wish you could do better?
Land a single scull better on the pontoons, and learn patience.
5. What's your biggest achievement?
Out of work, completing the Three-Peaks Challenge in under 24 hours (it hurt). In work, too many to mention. I guess the jump to having my first full responsibility for a £30m profit and loss business.
6. Who are your role models?
Cheesy I know, but my dad for what he achieved in his business career regardless of the knocks, his sheer bounceback-ability, and Ellen MacArthur for her strong will, self-motivation and ability to keep her eye on the goal regardless of the challenges.
7. What's the stupidest thing you've done?
Walked into a rake, resulting in a very sore nose and face.
8. What was the most hotly debated topic at your last meeting?
Optimum asset life and maintenance costs.
9. What's in your garage?
I don't have one, but if I did it would resemble my shed and would no doubt be full of junk with no room for the car.
10. What's the worst thing about your job?
Never getting to the bottom of a growing 'to do' list and emails.
11. What one law would you make or change?
The benefits system, but let's not open that hot topic.
12. What keeps you awake at night?
Very little with the exception of too much sugar or alcohol on the odd occasion.
13. Who is your ideal celebrity date?
Very shallow but chef Gino D'Acampo as he cooks my favourite food - Italian - and looks great...
||SHB Hire Ltd
||Head of fleet solutions
|Sum up your company in 13 words or fewer:
||SHB is a specialist vehicle hire and fleet management company.