Alex Wright, MD of Shoreham Vehicle Auctions, answers Barker's Dozen
09 July 2012
BusinessCar's Paul Barker puts 13 testing questions to another victim
1. What was your first job? My first job was strawberry picking at the age of 14. My brother and I used to get up at 4.30am so we could get a couple of hours of work in before school. I don't think that's allowed nowadays.
2. What was your first company car? A Ford Fiesta L 1.1 petrol, three-door, 1990 reg. I had to commute to Paddock Wood every day from Blackbushe, and unfortunately the car didn't accelerate, it gathered speed.
3. What did you listen to on your last car journey? Radio 4 morning news. Sorry!
4. What one thing do you wish you could do better? Speak another language. I've always wanted to learn French, but somehow it always gets pushed to the bottom of the list. One day!
5. What's your biggest achievement? Beginning a family. I was a bit late starting, as I'm only 11 months in. It's all still new, but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it. It's just like learning to juggle an extra ball, isn't it?
6. Who are your role models? Winston Churchill and Paula Radcliffe. In their own way they never gave up in what they wanted to achieve.
7. What's the stupidest thing you've done? Not realising that new wedding rings are still attached to the ring box by string when asking my wife to marry me on top of a mountain in the Alps. The mix of skiing gloves and the string still being connected to the ring ever so slightly ruined the continuity of the moment.
8. What was the most hotly debated topic at your last meeting? Where to spend the money.
9. What's in your garage? It's jam-packed with unused tools left over from my days as a mechanic, windsurfing and mountain bike kit, and my bike trainer.
10. What's the worst thing about your job? Nothing - it's down to me if things are not going right.
11. What one law would you make or change? No donations to the political parties above £10k. The politicians need to have one boss, and that is the taxpayer. And politicians can only have one income, their salary.
12. What keeps you awake at night? Nothing. If I'm stressed I oversleep not undersleep.
13. Who is your ideal celebrity date? Sandi Toksvig would be a great date, and as I'm a newlywed I wouldn't get in trouble with the missus!